Monday, January 30, 2012

Sunday Lane Interview

I recently stumbled across Sunday while listening to One Tree Hill, where she had two songs featured in the season premier of the show. She is sure to catch the ear of many other listeners with her uniquely beautiful tone, carefree delivery and honest lyrics. Sunday was kind enough to take some time to answer a couple of questions regarding her music and upcoming projects...
For more information on Sunday and to hear more of her music, please check out http://sundaylane.com/
Check out her band, Thick as Thieves too! http://www.thievesmusic.com/
How would you say you developed your tone (it’s so beautiful by the way).
Well, thank you! It's been kind of trial and error process. I've never taken voice lessons, but my mom is a classical singer and has definitely helped me along the way. I think a lot of my tone has come from the artists I listen to, especially David Gray and Tegan & Sara.
What can people expect when they see you live? What would you like for them to take away?
If someone walked out of my concert, turned to their friend and said "wow, you can tell she means everything she sings, and she made me believe it too," I'd call that a success.
Who are some people that you have looked up to in the past in terms of live performance and stage presence?
I saw Lissie perform a year ago, and it was so inspiring! She's incredible. She's so real and honest. Not to mention, she has a killer voice.
You are currently in school, correct? How has it been juggling school and playing/creating music? Do they go hand-in-hand?
I'm actually taking this semester off and it has been WONDERFUL. I love school, and but I don't like having to compromise my education for my career. I'm currently working on three different projects as well as writing for a couple other artists, and it's been so nice not having to juggle that with school. Being able to put all of my creative energy towards my passion is just such a blessing.
When did you begin to fall in love with making music?
When I was seven years old, my dad gave me Elton John’s greatest hits CD. I remember running up to my room, putting it in my Walkman and just thinking “Oh, my goodness. I have to do this. I have to make music.” The only problem was, I hated going to piano lessons and my mom could never quite convince me to take voice lessons. I felt really frustrated because I loved music so much, but it just wasn’t clicking for some reason. When I learned how to play chords, and started writing songs at fifteen, it was one of those “aha!” moments. I’ve never questioned that making music, writing music, singing, performing, all of it is what I want to do until I’m old and grey.
How does the writing process normally pan out for you? Do you write continually, or are you more of a periodic writer?
I never force myself to write, but I find that I write about 5 or 6 songs a week. Something will spark an idea and the lyrics and music just kind of spill out of me. Writing is extremely therapeutic and I kind of get a high off of it, as weird as that sounds!
Tell me how "Reckless One" specifically came together...(beautiful, by the way…)
Thanks! I wrote that song in the bathroom of Gladstone’s in Malibu, CA. I was 18 and had just landed in California to attend Pepperdine. My parents and I were at dinner, and all of a sudden I recalled a (quite dramatic) text message that I had sent earlier that month to a heart breaker that said, “fine, you can be careful and I’ll be the reckless one.” I ran to the bathroom, and the melody just came to me. I sang it in my phone, and the rest is history!
Are you currently working on some new songs? If so, when can fans expect to hear them?
I am working on lots of songs! I’ve been writing, writing, writing! I’m currently working on three separate projects: my solo album, an album with a producer, and an EP with the band Thick as Thieves. The Thick as Thieves EP will come out the end of February, and my solo album will be released the second week of March. I’m so excited for everyone to hear it! It’s a full length, which is a bit daunting, but I definitely think it will be worth it!
Any advice for new D.I.Y. artists just starting out?
Don’t be afraid to take chances. Do find people who love and support you, because it is hard as hell sometimes to keep a positive mindset and you’ll need all the help you can get! Don’t take anything too seriously (whether it’s someone offering you an incredible opportunity or a bad review of your song). Do enjoy it. If you’re not doing this because you love it with all that you are then you’re in the wrong career.
How important is social networking/media for you?
Extremely! We live in a digital age. There’s no use fighting it, better to utilize it!
What kind of positives have you seen from having your music featured on shows like One Tree Hill? Have you had a chance to see the scenes featuring your songs? What was your first reaction?
My facebook fans, twitter followers, and YouTube subscribers all increased, which is great. One Tree Hill has such a loyal following, and I feel so blessed to be a small part of it! My reaction was, “Oh, wow. Oh my gosh! Sophia Bush totally just said my name! Aaaah!”
Are there any artists, or even specific albums that you are really into right now?
BON IVER! AAAAAH. He’s like all I’ve been listening to. If my headphones are in, there’s a 90% chance I’m listening to “Holocene.”
Any shows coming up?
My band Thick as Thieves has a show tomorrow (how’s that for soon? Ha) and I’ll have a CD release show in LA the second week of March. You should come!
Perfect day, driving in your car with the windows down, what are you listening to?
HOLOCENE!

No comments:

Post a Comment